The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone just a quick one on hair .
After my children i suffered the usal light hair loss, but this never stopped after my last and she is now 3 . just recently tho it has been getting worse, last night for instance, washing hair then hnds covered in hair and hair in bath. Its not noticable yet but could this get to the point where i am bald?
I am not a vain person but i quite like my hair.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Probably not. At least, I haven't heard of anyone on this site or elsewhere that has gone completely bald from lupus. Some will get bald spots, especially with discoid lesions. Some will have diffuse hair loss and hair thinning from any of the following or a combination thereof: normal aging, medications, lupus activity.

I've cut my hair short again as I find it looks better/fuller when I've suffered a lot of hair loss and it's easier to manage then too. I've been in a flare up for quite a while & lost quite a bit of hair too but not so easy to tell with short hair I have now!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My hair has thinned quite a bit in the past few years, I attribute it to the medicine, nasty stuff!!!! We lose a lot more hair on an everyday basis than you might think as a common rule so no worries.

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Mine too... I used to wear it long and then cut it into the stylish bob I haven't been able to grow my hair out since then... plus its very thin... I also blamed it on the meds... It used to take no time for my hair to grow... when I was younger I could cut it and then about a year later it would grow back to normal... I haven't had that luck in years...

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Angie,

When I flare I tend to loose lots of hair. It has always grown back in. In fact it is thicker now than it has ever been, curly too.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Angie,

I do not think you will go bald as the others have said here.

I do think short hair is great as it helps to fill in the areas of lost hair.

I hope this stops soon for you and the hair grows back quickly.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
im sure you will be fine, mine is also curly now lol have to use strighenrs,i think we loose some with flare's. but i dont know anyone who as lost it. and as for vain i think lots of us are, i am when it comes to hair, but i also agree short is better

hope everyone as helped Lin xx

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi there
try not to worry too much,I went through a stage that lasted quite a long time with losing hair & like you the bottom of the bath would be covered in hair as well as my hands everytime I styled it,as well as hair on the pillow every morning,I was very conscious of it at the time but other people didnt notice, I found over time & with taking plaquenil it stopped falling out & quickly thickened up again,if Im feeling particularly poorly I have noticed it falling out again but just not as much as before & not for so long,hopefully it will calm down for you soon.

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Hi

I lost a lot of hair when my thryoid was really low and had long hair at the time. My hair is very wavy. I had it cut short and it did grow back eventually , then recently it has become very thin so I had it cut shorter and instead of using hair straigteners which my hairdresser said would make matters worse I just scrunch it and it actually looks good and you cant tell how very thin it is.
I also use a good volume shampoo and condition it each time as the hairdresser said. I wash it daily but keep the drying to a minimum.

If you have a regular hairdresser that you trust they often give good advice about making the most of what you have. I am very lucky withh mine

So please try not to worry.

Pam

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi

They answer is most likely no. Everone is different

Yes I have lost about 1/2 of my hair. At one point it was 3/4. Just when I was about to get a wig it started growing to the half way mark. It could be the lupus or the drugs...I am on chemo.

I lost body hair all over. Eye brows, eyelashes. On the good side I know longer have to shave my legs and arm pits.

Everyone is different. I have chatted with members that after losing alot of hair that it grew in thicker than before.

If my hair starts to fall out again I think I will get a wig. I think I will go blonde.

Best of luck

Elaine

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Hi, I lost loads of hair and am still doing so. It's been over 6yrs. My hair loss was completely Lupus related, wasn't on meds that could cause hair loss. I was/am getting the M or W that resembles male pattern loss and also it was getting thinner all over. nothing I did or could do made any difference. it was dead looking

Now after starting the Plaq the hair is fuller, looks alive and is starting to grow back through the holes in my head be it very slowly....

I use nioxin shampoo and conditioner which seems to help the scalp health

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.