The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks :)

Im off this morning to have a wisdom tooth extracted... Yikes! :worried:

I just hate going to the dentist even for a check up so my stomach is in a knot! I have been on preventative anti biotics since last Thursday when I nearly went through the roof with the tooth pain. Thank goodness it settled down over the weekend though

The only good thing is that if I had any lurking infections they should have been seen to by the anti biotic! ;) Gotta find the positives in these things...

Wish me luck!!

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
(((( Joan )))), you poor thing, you must be in agony. I am sorry you have got to have the tooth extracted, I can well understand your apprehension. I hope you have got someone going with you for moral support and to look after you when you come home.

I will be thinking of you, let me know how you get on.

Love DEb x

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Oh dear ((( Joan))) You're having such a rough time as it is
Here's bags of luck for you. I hope it goes smoothly and that you can take good care of yourself afterwards with plenty of rest. An icebag comes in handy for reducing swelling. I always feel as if I was going to my execution even though pain is not an issue, always well controlled.

Many many caring hugs

Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
:fingers: crossed for you Joan - I have never (touch wood) had toothache and am so so glad that that is one thing I've managed to avoid all my life.

huge strengthening hugs :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y'all :)

Im back and still in the land of the living. Clare, thats a good way to describe it - like going to an execution. And yes you are quite right in that the pain is well controlled. I absolutely hate the pulling and tugging of an extraction though and that sickening crunch when it finally comes out! I've probably made you all feel quite sick now! Sorry.... :hehe:

He threw in a filling as well for good measure so thats me sorted out for another 20 years :lol:

Anyway Im grand thanks. Just sore and spitting up blood. Better than spitting feathers I guess :) Wonder if the tooth fairy will come? :p

Cheers my dears. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Joan:

Glad all came out well...pardon the pun!

My mom was a dental hygenist, so I was always in the dentists chair (as a matter of fact her boss even put fillings in my baby teeth if I had a cavity, dentists don't seem to bother me at all...desensitization at an early age I guess. I had all four wisdoms removed at the same time, many, many years ago but i do remember looking like a chipmunck for about a week.

Warm salt water rinses are the best for the blood and flushing the wound without pain.

Rest and relax - stay well Stephanie

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Joan!

sorry I missed wishing you luck..but so pleased to hear it went well! I don't envy you as I hate the dentist too! I wont even have an injection for fillings because they scare me so much :hehe:

I hope you heal quickly, get plenty of rest now, no over doing it :wink2: fingers crossed the tooth fairy will treat you :):p

take care joan :hug:
love karen xx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Joan,

So glad that your dental visit is over and hoping that your recovery is speedy!

Rest up and perhaps use an icepack on your cheek and/or some candula cream for bruising.

I too looked like a chipmunk when I had 4 wisdom teeth out together, but also had lots of facial bruising!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Joan,

So good to hear you came through just fine. I had the same procedure just 4 mos, ago. Yes, that sickening pulling, tugging, and crunch, is a perfect description of it..too.

Heal well, and have some ice cream for a soothing treat! :)

Love,
Sandy

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Glad you survived the ordeal Joan. When I had mine out the dentist had me put a tea bag in the area of the extracted tooth for about 15 minutes. It was supposed to help with the bleeding. If you are still having problems you might want to give it a try.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,410 Posts
Glad it all turned out good for you Joan.
I hate going to the dentist too.

My stomach did a few turns reading your description of the process. :p:hehe:

Love & hugs,
Lyn

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had to have mine surgically removed at 17 "bony impaction".......Thank Heavens, I was knocked out and woke up nice and numb......no crunching that I can remember.
I hope the tooth fairy leaves you lots of good things!:lol:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your kind wishes :)

I'm a bit swollen and tender but overall it's grand. Im back in work so that focuses ones mind elsewhere :rolleyes:

The dentist wants me to continue on for another 5 days of the anti-biotic. I think its contributing to my tiredness - Im more tired than usual.

Thanks again to you all for the tips and support. I DID go and have some ice-cream after I read your post Sandy :lol: Talk about 'any excuse'.....!

The tooth fairy must have been extra busy last night cos I somehow got bypassed :lol: Maybe I will just go and treat myself......

Yours, gummingly... and lacking in wisdom

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Glad you survived, Joan. Extractions are never fun, no matter the reason.
Use the salt water rinses as your dentist ordered. The post op directions should tell you to just hold the water in the area, not to swish, to help it heal yet not rinse out the clot. Very painful if that happens. Keep up the ice packs and then after 48 hours go to warm packs. [I was a dental asst in a previous life before lupus.]

Good healing,
Sally

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.