Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like your thoughts please:
For the past couple of months I have been extremely withdrawn from the world. Some of it of course is that I'm no longer working and therefore no longer have to get up and out every day. But I'm refusing to 'do' my mail - which I KNOW will have sever reprecussions, don't particularly make an effort to contact people, don't do things (like laundry or go to the grocery store) until I absolutely have to, etc. If no one else has had something like this as a lupus problem, then I will just figure its depression and since I'm already on a lot of anti-depression meds, figure I'm stuck and just need to fight harder. If there's a real chance it could be Lupus related I might try to contact my rheumy.

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Jirel, I am so sorry your feeling this way. I think this reaction can be very normal and there is nothing "wrong" with you feeling this way. I found that when I couldn't get out at all I became very reluctant to go out when feeling better. You sound as though your depression has turned or is turning into agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is also listed on Dr Hughes alternate diagnostic criteria. I would advise you to tell your Rheumy or local doctor as soon as possible. You may just need someone to talk things through with.

Jael we all need these little interactions, chatting about nothing to strangers when buying things etc, complaining about the weather to keep us going. Plz remember if were deprived of these little human contacts we will react. I work with retired people and have seen some who have been with me for years become more reluctant to leave the house and do things they kow they really need to do but a lot of it is because they get so tired . I know there are terms such as depression, agoraphibia and they have their place but we shouldn't forget were all just people going through stuff.

Plz keep us updated on how you are feeling and plz do pm me anytime if you would like too :hug: xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just based on your description, I would lean towards thinking it's a part of depression. I say this mostly because you say you "refuse" to do your mail; which makes it sound like a choice in a way. You haven't talked at all about physical pain or fatigue making anything so difficult to do... but that you won't do anything until it really has to be done and there's no choice anymore.

I know you are on a lot of medications already for depression, but perhaps it is time to change things - add or delete some? I knew a gal who was put on so many psychiatric medications that they turned her into almost a bit of a zombie...

Or add in some counseling or switch counselors? You are going through a major life adjustment in leaving work which is very stressful and hard to cope with. I wonder if the combination of everything; lupus, depression, lifestyle change is all contributing to this problem you're having. Just because you're not working anymore, doesn't mean you don't have anything important to do and contribute in this world. Quite the opposite.

(((hugs))) Hope you find a way to improve soon.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your insight. I feel that I have a choice about the mail because there is nothing physically keeping me from doing it. This is the third time I've called friends and asked them to come over and "make" me answer all my mail. Usually all they have to do is come over and say "You know I'm here so you will do the mail." and I wind up doing it, but not the last time.

Therapy is out of the question, I currently have no insurance and the prices are just too high. I'm already paying around $700 - $800 a month for perscriptions, my rheumy is running blood tests through her office so they cost me less and trying to keep my office visit costs down - to the point where her visit only costs me about $10 more than my GP visit does. I just don't feel that I can deal with it... which I guess answers my question about what's going on. If I can't deal, then its depression.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Jirel,
It sounds to me like you miss the routine that you had. It does sound like depression more than lupus as you did not say that you are in any pain that keeps you from doing these things. It is hard when you have a routine and now you have no clock to watch. It does not have to be like that. Make a new routine. Thing of these things that you are talking about as your new job. It will help you to get into a routine and to get them done on a routine. If the depression meds are not working for you it might be that you need to change meds till you find one that does work for you. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Be sure to talk to you doctor/doctors about all the prescription assistance programs too. They should know about it and if not a hospital social worker will be able to help with them; you should be a good candidate for prescription assistance. You can get 3 months for free each time (for up to a year). Your doctor has to fill out the forms - but it's pretty quick and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
onetay - one of the things that frustrates me right now, I've ALWAYS had a schedule. Even when I was at home for 6 weeks on paid leave while waiting for an assignment back in the 90s, I made up a schedule to keep myself "used" to getting up and "working". Now I can't seem to make a schedule let alone keep one.

I do have a doctor's appt on the 20th, I'll talk to him then.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Jirel,
There are a few programs you can use for meds at reduced prices. There is the Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer/Kroger where you can get a month for $4 or 3 for $10. Not all medications are covered under this plan, but it is better than nothing.
Also most manufacturers have programs where you can get the medication for free. Contact the drug company and ask how to get on their program.
The third is the PPA, Partnership for Prescription Assistance which provides for free or nominal amount. [PPA was started by Montel Williams]
Good luck,
Sally

·
florie
589 Posts
Hi jirel,
I can't add anything more than what eveyone has said. I do hope that you will talk to whoever is giving you antidepressants. If you can't afford them then i know mental health will provide then for you. It was done for me at one time till i got my insurance. Those programs are out there like a few has mentioned. There are even churches that help out. There is a number in florida 411 that gives information on any questions and helpful with contacs.

Hope you will get well soon.And fight this threw...........
florie

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Hi Anglecake,

This thread is very old, someone will be along shortly and might move it to a thread of your own. In the mean time you could start a thread of your own with any questions and telling us a bit about your daughter if you like.

Cally xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.