The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I came across an article by Michelle Petri, M.D., M.P.H. who is Professor of Rheumatology, in the Department of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University and Co-director of the Hopkins Lupus Pregnancy Center that I just had to share! According to this very brilliant physician:

"In the 1980's, it was discovered that women who have lupus are "super women." Their estrogen is metabolized using pathways, so the metabolites are still active. Not only is their estrogen working on their immune system, but the metabolized estrogen is as well. This was also true in their healthy, female family members. This may be one of the genetic predispositions to lupus."

Well call me superficial - but I couldn't wait to tell my husband just how lucky he is to have a Super Woman all to himself!

Every cloud has a silver lining!?!?!? Have a very happy weekend all you girls out there!

Merle

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Merle,
That is so funny because I really don't remember being super women when I was pregnant either time. I am sure that it is all medical and all but I can tell you that if it had been a choice I would of spent all 9 months asleep as I was so tired. I did want to say thank you for the info it is every exciting news,

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Merle :)

Im delighted to know that science has at last caught up with me! :lol::lol:

Can you post a link to that article? Thanks!

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ummmm,,,

Always thought I came from another kind of parallel universe.

Love to post more but Ive gotta fly.

Im going to ask my Rhumie if he thinks I have an allergy to Kryptonite.

:wink2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
:trampo::trampo:Hi Merle,

Always knew that science would catch up with us one day. Can't wait to share this great news with my husband.

Take Care Hugs & Kisses

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nicky, I LOVE it! Got to remember that for my rheumy when I see him next month! He'll get a kick out of it! He did tell me years ago that most sle women qualify as type AAA! We never do anything that normal people do...... work 3 jobs, go to school, train horses, gee....... He said type A people were busy, overachievers....well he hadn't met a woman with sle who was only a type A, they never stop there!
Sally

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's a good one :rotfl::rotfl:

I do think there's something in this. When you hear from people here on the boards and how active (work/sport etc.) they were before, it's quite amazing!! Not many slobs among us it seems :lol:

Katharine

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joandublin;539886 said:
Hi Merle :)

Im delighted to know that science has at last caught up with me! :lol::lol:

Can you post a link to that article? Thanks!

Joan:rose:
Hi Joan

I've haven't enough posts to allow me to post the link - but if you google:

hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis-info/lupus/

you should get it.

Enjoy!

Merle

·
Registered
642 Posts
I too think there is something in this.

Before loverly lupus:( I am wife running the house with little help and mother of two boys -albeit nearly grown, was also a busy neonatal nurse working full time.......careing for my mum following a stroke and supporting my dad.......AND completing my degree!

Even with lupus, the concept of REST still sits unnaturally with me.

WE are superwomen..........just dont ask me to wear those lycra pants:rotfl:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Im a triple AAA personality , so was my Dad and we both drove everyone mad.

Never sat still as a child either.

I wonder if unlike other people who get tired or try to recover by resting from a virus or contact with any sort of kyptonite that their immune systems are on top of things.
Eventually we burn to hard and pay the consequences....

Ok enough of the unscientific theories let get back to science and reality.

Anyone up for sharing a lycra leg with me?

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Thanks merle for posting that quote, it was very intersting. It made me laugh and made my day!!!!

Interesting thoughts from others after also. I was always an on the go person, who hates my slowed lifestyle now, however those closest to me still think I need to slow down!!!!

Still chuckling

Deb

·
Registered
182 Posts
:bigsmile::smirk: Don't worry Douglas you will be Superman & The Million Dollar Man rolled into one.:joke:

Take Care Hugs & Kisses

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Well Douglas, if ever you do go for Lycra, do be sure to post pictures :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts