The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up on lupus and they say that some of the criteria for diagnosing are behavioral problems. I was wondering if anyone here who has a lupus diagnosis ever had a problem with obsessive compulsive disorder? I am only asking because I am slowing showing more and more symptoms of lupus, and I think that is where my doctor is headed....but something just clicked with me today. A while back, I started to act a little strange. I had this sudden fear of germs. I never was like that all my life. Just one day, I started to have this fear. It got really bad, but one day I realized how crazy it was... and taught myself to stop it. I fight it every day. Only my immediate family knows about this. I was wondering, if my doctor should know about this? I live normally now. But ever now and then I have to talk myself into relaxing when I am in certain situations and surprisingly I am getting over it. But it was so sudden, and so uncharacteristic of me.

Had anyone had any development of an obsessive compulsive disorder when they were not diagnosed?? :blush: :blush:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I found a lot of odd psychiatric/physchological stuff going on before I was diagnosed. One thing (which sounds mad) I could not bear rain water splashng on me in case it had germs, splashes on my legs while walking drove me almost mad.

It did all fade.

x Lola

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Willow, I have not heard of any ocd, but my hubby is worse than
"Monk" on the telivision, do you want him????
Seriously, I was like you, I used to never give a care about germs of any kind. Then when I was DX, it took about a yr to sink in, and I had to go into the hospital for some blood for three days. Before they put me in a room, the head nurse cordinated her nurses to all put on masks', mop down and sterilize my room, and put a box of masks outside the door and a big sign on the door that a mask must be worn before entering this room, and I had no one else in the room. While I was taking all this in, the Head nurse, mask on her, came and explained to me that it is for my protection that no one breath on me, as I have no immune system. I
was parinoid for a while after that, now I have let up quite a bit, but in crowds, I still am extra careful. I hope this helps some. Be well.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you are managing it fine and it's not causing you any problems, then I would not mention it to the doctor. I say this because you are not diagnosed, and once the seed of any "mental problem" has been planted in a doctor's brain, then I've seen that used all too often as the reason for a patient's ills.
While this OCD type behavioral problem is mentioned on the "alternative criteria" list, it's not part of mainstream medicine's way of diagnosing lupus.

Phobia's are actually quite commonplace in the general public... more so than most would imagine. Think about how many people panic when they see a mouse, or a snake, or a spider. People have fears of bridges, and water. Many people are germ phobic & constantly use hand santizers or wash their hands. If they don't affect your ability to live your life though, then it's not really much of a problem.

Recently, I've developed a fear of flying myself. Yet, I'm getting on a plane in less than two weeks for our first family vacation. I know I'll manage it fine - I have to! Can't transmit this fear onto my 3 year old daughter ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I appreciate every one's response! I have to admit, that it is not a problem any more. I was just thinking of it this weekend and thought it was funny how it suddenly came, was intense, then just like that I was able to walk away from it. I think it was more a phobia than ocd. But it was bad at one point.

It didn't last long... around three years, so I don't really think about it much. I guess that is why I forgot all about it until it just popped into my head this weekend. I thought maybe it was caused by something. Maybe not. Might have been just a growing phase too... a weird one though. lol:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts