The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right place or not but I really need to have a winge.

I was diagnosed last year but have been battling with fatigue and brain fog / memory problems and pain for years but the last 7 - 8 years have probably been the worst! I have carried on working Full time and struggled on not knowing what was to come or what was wrong.

I know I should be thankful, as my Lupus is not really that bad compared to some of you guys but it is bad enough to interfere with my life. I have finally admitted to myself that I cannot work 45 hours a week and still have energy left for my husband and my home at the end of it.

So I went to the doctors and broke down which is unusual for me I usually just struggle on. She was great and gave me a note to reduce my hours and told me I had to work no more than 20 - 30 hours for the next 2 weeks. Strange thing was I asked my bosses 7 months ago to reduce my hours but it took a sick note from the doctor for them to wake up and smell the coffee.

So anyway they agreed to reduced hours and said that my time would be spent training my students and a little admin work.... What a laugh. All that has happened is that I have spent very little time with my students and lots of time playing receptionist, which I don't mind but it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. I feel like I am being used to "fill in the gaps" left by a member of staff leaving, holidays and my hours being reduced...:mad:

May be I am being stupid or selfish or something but I feel like I have been dumped on. I should be grateful that I am still able to work but feel that I have been promised something that is not going to happen and I feel cheeted. I love my job and the people I work with and I hope that it will change but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and may be I should look for something else, but I have been nursing now for 14 years and feel that it would be difficult to find another employer that would be understanding!:tantrum:

I am sorry to rant and bore you all silly! Has anyone else been in this situation before???

Regards Claire
:cry3:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there, it's been a while :)

I'm sorry to hear about your work worries. I think many of us have been in that situation or similar.

Being off work these last 6 months has really opened my eyes to my "bosses" and collegues. I say bosses in that way as I am self employed but still have big clients who I do subcontracting for and it's like having a boss.

I had been struggling for ages before finally giving in to the rheumy's demand to stop. I had been warning people at work, telling them I couldn't cope, crying at times from sheer frustration and exhaustion... all the usual. They didn't cop on at all, not one little bit. When I was put off work for "at least two months" they acted as if I had died (i.e. no contact, no "how are you doing", radio silence..) - that is until the 2 months were just about up when they then tried flooding me with requests to go and work even further away than I usually do - wanting me to do a two hour drive morning and evening :(

I said to them "Have you ever tried driving when your feet are numb and you can't feel them?" They still didn't get it and the rheumy signed me off until the end of this month.

I have been feeling a lot better recenlty. Human again. I have, however, been less good this last week. Very very tired and headaches back again. My GP is sure I've overdone it. If I have it's through being awake all day which most people take for granted :rotfl:

Anyway, I'l be "back" at work in a couple of weeks. Whether ready or not I have no choice financially. I will only be working two days (short 5 hour days + 2 hours driving) out of the home and doing a little at home the other days. It's a huge financial gamble as I don't yet have the "home" work set up 100% but I just can't go back to doing what I was. I still don't know how some people will react but this time I am determined that "no" is a very useful word. I'll never be rich I'm sure but if I can keep happy that'll do me fine :)

I hope you find a solution, whatever it is. It's never easy but as my Mum always says "something will come up" :)

:hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey i totally understand everything you just said. I work for the NHS do you? I'm on reduced hours at the moment and i feel alot better but my bosses are not very understanding and im only allowed to do reduced hours if i do really crappy parts of the job...i think its their way of punishing me! I'm such an inconvenience to them! And i can only have reduced hours for 2 more months then its make or break time! you'd think the NHS would be more clued up about illnesses!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey Claire and Mooks
I'm an NHS nurse too and after having 5 months off work last year am back now but with occupational health and personel depts advising.
My rheumie said i should work no more than 3 shifts a week and occie health agreed. So I'm on a temproary contract for those hours with an option to increase when/if I feel able.
I did do the crap jobs when I first came back (audits and admin yawn yawn )but it was probably for the best. I did feel bad at first.
I'm now back with the babies I'm a neonatal nurse and love it. Work is an excellant distraction when your feeling generally rough.
Not sure I could cope with any more hours though but don't have to think about that yet.
Have you too got occie health backing you up.
I work at quite a big hospital which might help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your support Katherine Mooks and Bigsis it is nice to know I am not alone as that is how I feel sometimes, and that others have been through the same...

In answer to you question I don't work for the NHS I work in Veterinary Practice so I don't get the occupational health unfortunately.

Thanks again guys

Claire
XXXX

·
Jen
407 Posts
I went through a similar situation last year. It is tough, really tough to chose helping ourselves by taking care of our bodies better over doing a job we are really good at and love.

I'm no longer working now and that was a blow as well but after 4 months I'm already getting use to it. It is difficult financially but being able to rest when I'm not well and take care of my family better is wonderful.

I hope you are able to find joy in your new job but more importantly are feeling better physically and are getting time to rest.

Take care, Jen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts