TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and i I just joined a gym. He needs to loose weight and will not go alone. I, however, DO NOT need to loose weight and walking up a flight of stairs will make me sore for days. Does anyone have any advice for what is good to do? I am petrified of the pain that I am going to be in if I accidentally overdo it. I did an exercise video once and missed work the next day because I felt like I had the flu after working out.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I do not know if this is good advice but I would only do non impact exercises and nothing too strenuous. They say exercise is good for us and it has helped a lot of people feel better.

I think the key thing here is just don't over do it. Let us know how you make out.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The two best forms of exercise I've found for me is walking (treadmill or outside), and swimming. The elliptical trainer is not bad either, possibly easier on the joints even than walking.

Since you've had weight loss recently, I would recommend eating an energy bar or shake after working out to replace quickly those calories expended.

Most importantly though, is I hope you will stand up for yourself while at the gym or on those days that you need to *avoid* the gym entirely. Don't succumb to pressure from hubby to do more than you are able to do...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
working out

Thanks. I am already sore from taking the stairs during a fire drill yesterday. 4 flights!!! I may not be able to do much today. We shall see. I am thinking about sticking to the treadmill and pool. I just wish I could tan.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

When I went to the gym a few months ago I told the trainer that set up my program that I was absolutely not there to build up muscle or lose wieght. I explained to him that I have an inflammatory disease that affects my joints and told himt to treat me like a 70 year old with severe arthritis.

He set up a very gentle programme for me where all I had to do was use the machines but with NO weights. I also did some gentle exercises with half kilo (then kilo) weights in each hand.

Unfortuntately even that tiny bit of work (I went three times a week for a very gentle 20 minutes) was too much for me at the time as my disease still wasn't under control.

I think what I'm saying here is that hubby absolutely has to understand that you can not do what he will be doing and that he musn't expect that. You could set yourself back so much by doing too much.

On the other hand, if you approach thi very slowly and steadily then it could do you a lot of good and help maintain a minimum amount if fitness.

I haven't returned to the gym as I have decided to focus more on the aerobic side of things (that's my excuse anyway :lol:) and I have been building up the amount of walking I do and can now do pretty brisk walks in the woods and hills around where I live. The dog prefers me getting tired that way than at the gym because at lest he has had his walk first! I also found the gym expensive as I needed a kind of subscription but ended up paying for a few months where I couldn't go as I had a very bad setback which included breathing problems.

Just some thoughts. I think it's a great idea but has to be well prepared :)

Katharine

·
me old china!
26 Posts
Swimming is the best thing for me, it improves my joint movement no end and unlike other forms of working out it doesn't put as much stress on the body. Id don't ever go crazy, im there resting at the edge with all the wrinkleys. Its just nice to go to feel like im doing something!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts