TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am concerned about my youngest daughter.

I had she, and her family over for dinner on Mother's Day. Her food got stuck in her throat. She couldn't swallow. Nothing helped.

She said it has been happening now, for over a year. I had no clue, as she is not one to go on about feeling poorly. I have heard her say she is tired all the time..a lot lately though. I did the usual motherly thing. Advised her to go get a physical, have her thyroid checked, take her vitamins and so forth.

The other thing, I have noticed is that she flushes a lot. She turns red, out of the blue. I am terrribly concerned, because..I had those two symptoms myself, when my lupus got worse.

She tells me she is in no pain, and does not ache at all. She is a smoker, so I wonder if she is having some vessel spasms from smoking affects. But the swallowing problem is really a worry for me. I looked up symptoms of a Hiatel hernia...she has two of the risk factors for it.

I guess...I am going on a bit, but what I am really trying to say is..I am terrified she is developing lupus.:(

Should I tell her to go have some blood drawn? I don't want her to go years and years..before getting the proper treatment, like I had too. Will a dr, take my history into account when she goes in for an exam?

I have read that close family members of a person with lupus often have a positive a.n.a. anyway..

Do you have any advice for me as her mother, on how to best help her?

I do appreciate you help as always..

Thank you friends,
Sandy

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Sandy

I would say that you should definitely encourage her to get relevant tests. The reason I am saying that is because my very first symptoms were throat problems. I had a feeling like my throat was closing up and there were times when I couldnt swallow even my spit. When I look back on things I realise that this was probably the first onset of some kind of inflammation.

Bear in mind that if she does have Lupus then she will have the advantage of getting treatment at an early stage. I know you have suffered deeply from your Lupus but it might not be the same for your daughter.

Close family members will often have a positive ANA but it will usually be in low titres. If her ANA is in high titres then it should be taken seriously.

Sandy, you cannot change the future nor how these conditions might affect our children. It is not your 'fault' but a twist of fate. The good thing is that you are more aware and can help your daughter towards possibly a quicker diagnosis.

I hope this ends up being 'something or nothing'.. I remember last year going through a similar fright when my daughter went for a short lunch hour walk in the sun, came back and collapsed in a heap on the floor with a rash (very similar to mine) and overwhelming fatigue.... So far she has no blood or other clinical indicators for Lupus and I hold my breath every day....

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
hope this helps

Hi Sandy

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your daughter((((hugs)))).it is only natural for us as mothers to worry about our children.I also have trouble with swolling for about 3 years now but it was better for awhile there.My gastrooligist had me putting some nitro cream on a little piece of paper for about 4 months and it seemed to help an awlot for me anyway.I of course cannot figure out what he called it the spasms of some kind>i would tell her to see her gp to see what he thinks.he should be able ro refer her to someone and take some labs to check for lupus.I would tell her but not that you think it could be lupus but for yours and her piece of mind.I am hoping someone comes along maybe with soem better advice then mine but i just hope she does do something about the swolling that is very dangerous thing to mess with for sure.Yake care and i will be praying that she gets it all figured out and soon to.take care my friend.

Tammy

·
11,405 Posts
(((Sandy))))

We mothers do worry about our children. We want only the best for our kids including health.

I think I would have a talk with her and tell her how you are feeling. I hope and pray that it isn't lupus but the only way you will know is for her to get tested. You could even offer to go with her, give her confidence and support when she sees the doctor.

This will help your health too you know how stress bothers us.

My brother and I both have SLE but we are different in some aspects. We both have that lovely fatigue, aches and pains. From there though we are different.

Love & prayers,
Lyn

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sandy,
I know how you feel, I am going throuth similar things with my daughter. I would tell her what you think and encourage her to be checked to be on the safe side. It could be nothing but always, always better safe then sorry later.

I am sure she is a stronge young women but she also has to see that there is a problem herself. I would be worried if it was me and my mom had lupus. I am sure this has crossed her mind already but may not be sure what to do herself.

I know you are there for her but if nothing else have her do all the test so you don't have to worry about the lupus. You might ask her and your doctor if they can see each other so that you can save some time. My doctor was nice and said he would at no charge during one of my visits.

I hope you are both doing well by now.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Friends,

I just came across your replies..

I haven't been on site as much lately. My husband and I are helping our son fight for custody of his children...Whew...a whole different story. Very difficult situation, and costly also, I will add.

Anyway, thank you so much for all of your kind, and very thoughtful replies, to my concerns. I will go to the dr, with her, when she goes. She is a working mom of two of her own plus, two more girls from her marriage. Yes, she is a very strong young lady, and too busy, as so many young mother's are now days.

I will keep you all informed, as to how it works out for my youngest daughter.

Thank You again.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Wow Sandy the worries of your son and your daughter is a lot for you to handle all at once. I hope things with your son turn out in his favor especially if the mom is not fit to raise the kids well.

I am a smoker and I do not have spasms of the throat nor has that ever been mentioned to me by any doctor. I am not saying this is not a possibility but probably unlikely.

I would guess she should see a GI doctor. I am not sure what direction would be best for her to go. Maybe her pcp can advise her better what to do and who to go see.

I am surprised that this has been happening over a year now and your daughter has not gone to get this looked at yet. Scary when something gets stuck in the throat.

Please keep us informed and if you need to chat I am here for you.:wink2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any news on your daughter's health? The throat issue and the blushing seem to be clear syptoms of a disease so I hope your daugher sees a doctor soon. It's important that she gets treatment as soon as possbile if she suffers from lupus or any other illness. Waiting is never the best option in cases like this, it will probably just get worse ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts