The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have constant wrist pain, mainly on the top of my wrist. I do take pain killers, but wondered if any one gets ease from doing any thing else ? i try and only take meds when i really have too, because we take sooooo many all the time !! will mention this next time i am at the hospital, my GP just said take pain killers and strapping it wouldnt help
thanks for any info
regards
june

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi June,

I find that wearing a wrist support (elastic type thing) helps a great deal but I suppose it depends what is causing your pain. Mine is more in the tendons than in the joints when it comes to my wrists. I have a wonderful collection of those support things but prefer ones which simply wrap around in a wide band that I can adjust. I find the ones which go up onto the hand and have a hole for the thumb rub on my thumb and are uncomfortable.

They also very useful when you have to spend a "handshake" day. As everyone knows limp handshakes aren't great but I keep having clients trying to murder my hand. The wrist support makes them be gentle :lol:

Katharine

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi June,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Heat or ice might help. If this is your predominate hand try using the other one for most things and see if that helps. I know the GP said strapping wouldn't help but if it were me I would try a brace for a week just to make sure.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there,

I have a lot of problems with my wrist and sometimes it hurts at the top of my hand also...I use wrist guards and it seems to help... I was told to sleep with them... but I just can't, but I wear them during the day... It is worth a try..... Good luck.

Love Penny

·
Registered
594 Posts
I wear wrist splint too, i got then from pysio.
They are elastic but also gave a metal strip along the underside of the wrist.
I do rely on them quite alot, i think they do help just give my wrists a break and some support.

Take Care

Cassie

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, does your wrist hurt due to typing? Mine hurt enough about a year
ago that I was sure that I had carpel tunnel syndrome. I went to my Rheumy
told him my story, he asked several questions, including how long I sat at the
computer. Finally, after a thurough examation, he said no, it wasn't carpel, it
was just that the tendond and nerves, etc, were swollen-from lupus. he also
suggested a brace, got one,wore it for about 9 mo. and it's been ok. the brace
is just very hot to wear, but it works. I hope you get some answers also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou

Thankyou everyone
I will try and get some sort of support for it. I dont type much, but notice more pain from driving and gripping objects . As always great advise !!
regards
june

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi June,

Just thought i'd tell you that i suffer from wrist pain/tightness and when weather hot/warm tingling, swelling and pain/stifness gets worse.

When I have to drive and grip I have problems to the point of not being able to use hands!

Rest hands as much as you can. There are anti-inflammatory or analgesic creams that you can apply directly that may help you more.

Take care and good luck with your test!

Lesley

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
splints (which I think is different than strapping - strapping sounds more like a bandage) - anyway, splints are fabulous. I have the sort that hold your wrist in a 'cocked' position with a bent bit of metal. I use them for pain relief mostly, whenever my wrists get sore I put them on. It does the trick for me.

My rheumie writes a prescription for splints for me and I get them free through the hospital system. Doing it this way also means that they get fitted by an orthotist, which is much better than buying them at the chemist.

hope those wrists feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
594 Posts
Snap Raglet,
Mine have the bent bit of metal too.

Cassie :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts