The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how fat can my hands look!

My fingers on my right hand have doubled in size and look shiny and itch like mad. They are also hot too! Infact the more i type the bigger they are getting. My other hand is starting too!

Any one else get this symptom and do i need to worry about it!
I am seeing my rheumy on friday so not long to wait!

Thanks all

Nettyxxx

·
Registered
212 Posts
My hands are very hot and swollen at present. Not very pleasant, so you have my sympathy. My skin kind of feels burned - you know that feeling when you burn yourself and your skin goes all tight? My hands were the thing that got me referred to hospital in the first place - I woke up with numb hands on morning nearly a year ago.

Good luck with the appointment,

xx

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Netty,

Would it be possible that you could ge in earlier to your rhumey? Your hands sound so painful.:hug:

Let us know how you are doing.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Netty,

Sounds familiar to me...but there could be many causes!

As Lyn has suggested perhaps your Rhuemi could fit you in earlier this week as an emergency....worth a phone call to his/her secretary!

In meantime, keep hands cool...cold flannels, ice packs....perhaps consider taking some antihistamine or if already taking it take a stronger dose.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Early on in my diagnosis my hands got very swollen and painful. I couldn't open or close them completely, still can't actually. I also had some overnight numbness and pain. So I can totally identify with your pain.

chin Up it shouldn't last too terribly long!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Nettie,
Yes, this was one of the major symptoms I had 20 years ago. They were also very hot too. I would soak them in bowls of ice water to cool them down. It is such a nasty thing to go along with sle.

Get in to your rheumatologist asap and have him order films of your hands. It may be helpful down the line to have them for comparison. It was for me.

You may need to go on prescription nsaids to help calm them down and perhaps diuretics if your legs and feet are swelling too. They often accompany one another.

There are 2 types of diuretics: potassium sparing - works in a different part of the kidney and does not reduce potassium in the body. The potassium draining need to have supplement potassium chloride accompany them - 1 pill diuretic = 1 potassium chloride.
Sally

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i went to see GP, he said he does not know what to do but suggested it could be an allergy to sun! on antihystamines and will wait til fri for rheumy visit!

thanks all for replying!!!

nettyxxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.