The Lupus Forum banner

Yet another weird skin issue

598 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wifajax 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've had another strange thing come up with my skin, and wanted to know if anyone had experienced something similar.

I have five very itchy bumps - four on my legs and one on my back. They looked very much like bug bites at the beginning, but I am sure they are not. They started as very red, swollen domes with a small, clear blister at the top. The bumps became very deeply red late Friday, and it looks like there are tiny blood vessels all around them. I've never seen anything like it, and the itch is about to drive me mad.

My very strong steroid cream has done nothing for the problem. My GP and rheumy are both on vacation, and I'm off for Alaska next weekend.

Any ideas?

Terri

#2 ·
Hi Terri

I get those all the time with my lupus. Weird how they just pop up and itch like crazy. One question though? Have you been outside in the sun the past few days. If so then you may be photosensitive. If not then you are getting the lupus hives as what I call them. Throwing off to many antihistamines in your body. Meaning you are having an allergic reaction. I take Benedryl for mine but some people because of their meds can't take Benedryl so it might pay to call a pharmacist or on call doctor to see if it's okay to take with your other meds.
If you can't take Benedryl then bathing with some Anti-Bacterial Soap that has alcohol will help some. That might be the best option or you can do both but please get an okay by the doctor first before taking the Benedryl! Hope this helps! I hate that itchy mess!

#3 ·
Hi Terri,
yes i agree with Lynette they are most likely hives and could be the lupus or an allergic reaction.
I think they are quite common with lupus.
When my symtoms first began to get worse i had 16 hives on my head within the space of about 2 weeks. ouch!!

I hope they clear up soon. Would advise the same as Lynette.

Cassie

#4 ·
(((Terri)))

Having lupus can be so frustrating.:(

I think you should call your doctor's offices and have a talk with their nurse. Don't forget to take a picture of the rash. Tell them how the itch is awful and everything you have tried on it.

I have found my rhumey's nurse is wonderful and very understanding.

I hope you get this all sorted out before your trip.

Love,
Lyn

#6 ·
Thank you for the replies, everyone! It was definitely helpful to know others have experienced something similar. Fortunately, the bumps are finally fading and the itch is gone.

My GP thought the previous recurrent rash I was experiencing was erythema multiforme, which is also a form of hives. I expect the rheumy to up the MTX dose when I see her in July.

Terri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.