TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.

This may sound silly and unnecessary, but I have a question about a tooth whitening procedure called Zoom Whitening. I have always wanted to whiten my teeth, so, with the extra money from my government stimulus check, I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with my dentist to have this done next week. I know the use of light is involved, but I'm not sure what kind of light it is. I've read on several posts here that flouresent light can sometimes cause flares. That's disturbing because I am a teacher and I am under flouresent lights all day long during the school year. Anyway, I know that whatever kind of light is used, it will be confined to the area of my mouth only. My question is...is it safe to have any kind of light concentrated on any one spot of the body? In other words, do I need to be worried about this procedure making me sick? I know the it takes approx. 1 hour for the whole process to be done with the whitening, but I'm not sure how long the light is used in that time frame.

I hope this isn't too trivial a question to ask any of you, but I want to be very careful about anything I do to my body. I want beautiful white teeth, but I don't want to make myself sick just for the sake of vanity. :blush:

Thanks!:)
Rhonda

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Flourescent light affects some people with lupus, but sunlight is a much more common cause of flares in people with lupus. If you can work all day under flourescent lights and don't notice a difference in your general health during the school year or school day compared to summer or non-school days, then it seems safe to say you are not affected by UV light.

I *think* this process uses UV light, but it appears as you would likely be safe. There are never guarantees of course though...

Good luck and enjoy your newly whitened teeth!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Maia. I know my question wasn't earth shattering so I appreciate your taking the time to answer it. :)

Rhonda

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Rhonda, I really think that you will be fine. But if you feel a little tug of
doubt in the pit of your stomach, I would suggest that you place a call
to your dr.'s nurse, have her write down your question, take it to your dr., then call you back with the answer. I do this all the time. I think you will be very happy with you new teeth. Smile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Halfintfl. Thanks for the suggestion. :) Once I start seeing my rheumatologist on a regular basis I will remember to do that.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my new whiter, brighter teeth! :bigsmile:

Happy 4th of July! :)

Rhonda

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I really need to have this done.

Coffee and cigarettes have reaked havoc on my teeth.

Let us know how you like your new smile.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do that KarolH! :) My appointment is tomorrow morning and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it works well and my teeth come out gleeming white. :bigsmile: I need a pick-me-up right now and I hope this does that for me. I'm sure it will!

Take care.:)

Rhonda

1 - 7 of 7 Posts